History of Kean
History of Kean University
Founded in 1855, Kean University was originally named Newark Normal School. It was initially established for the exclusive purpose of being a teacher-education college. In 1937, Kean underwent its first name change, becoming New Jersey State Teachers College at Newark. Then in 1958 the campus was physically moved from Newark to Union Township and underwent its third name change to Newark State College. After taking on the name Kean College of New Jersey in 1973, the institution continued to broaden its scope over the next 24 years, earning university status on September 26, 1997.
Since then, Kean University has grown by leaps and bounds to become the third largest institution of higher education in the entire state. In recent years, besides its campuses in Union and Hillside, the University has recently completed additional expansions to Ocean County, NJ as well as the Peoples Republic of China.
While maintaining its significant role in the training of teachers, Kean has also become a comprehensive institution offering 50 undergraduate and 30 graduate degree programs, and serving some 13,000 students. Across five undergraduate colleges and the Nathan Weiss Graduate College, Kean's academic programs cover an exceptional range of disciplines.
Kean is a metropolitan, comprehensive, interactive, teaching university. A campus dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in higher education, Kean University supports a student-centered learning environment that nurtures the development of the whole student for rewarding careers, lifelong learning and fulfilling lives in a global society. It maintains a commitment to excellence and equity in enrollment, instruction and administration.
Kean is accredited by all major accrediting organizations. Many majors have accreditation in their field.